Libya: Up to 150 people may have died in shipwreck, UNHCR says

The ship is believed to have wrecked off the coast of Al Khoms

MORE than 100 people are feared to have died in a shipwreck off the coast of Libya, the UN refugee agency has said.

By Naveed Murtaza

Up to one hundred and fifty people are feared to have been killed in a shipwreck off the northwestern Libyan coast, according to the United Nations Refugee agency. Another 150 passengers were reportedly rescued
The ship embarked from the city of Khoms, about 75 miles (120 km) east of Tripoli, and some 300 were thought to be aboard, according to Reuters. It is still unclear whether one or two vessels were involved in the wreck.

 

Survivors were taken to safety by local fishermen and the Libyan coastguard, UN spokesman Charlie Yaxley said.

The ship is believed to have wrecked off the coast of Al Khoms

Libya is a hub for migrants seeking entry into Europe, many attempting to traverse the Mediterranean in crudely constructed or overcrowded vessels, ranging from decrepit ships to inflatable rafts. Thursday’s wreck, if confirmed, would be the most deadly accident in the Mediterranean this year. Last year, over 2,000 migrants died trying to make the same journey.

 

Charlie Yaxley, a spokesman for the UN refugee agency, said 147 had been saved.

 

“We estimate that 150 migrants are potentially missing and died at sea,” he said.

After the uprising that toppled and killed Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, Libya became a major conduit for African migrants and refugees seeking a better life in Europe.

Traffickers and armed groups have exploited Libya’s chaos since his overthrow, and have been implicated in widespread abuses of migrants, including torture and abduction for ransom.

Earlier this week, the Libyan coast guard intercepted around three dozen migrants off the coast and took them to a detention centre near Tripoli where an airstrike killed more than 50 people earlier this month.

Over 200 detainees are still being held at the Tajoura detention centre, near the front lines of fighting between rival Libyan factions.

The UN has expressed concern for their safety.

In recent years the European Union has partnered with the coast guard and other Libyan forces to prevent migrants from making the dangerous journey by sea to Europe.

Rights groups say those efforts have left migrants at the mercy of brutal armed groups or confined in squalid detention centres that lack adequate food and water.

At least 2,500 migrants are detained in centres in and around Tripoli, where forces loyal to Field Marshal Khalifa Hifter have been battling an array of militias loosely aligned with a UN-recognised government since April.

The government blamed the airstrike on the detention centre on Mr Hifter’s forces, which denied responsibility and accused government-linked militias of storing weapons at the facility.

The UN refugee agency says 164 migrants have died travelling from Libya to Europe since the start of the year, fewer than in previous years.

But the UN says the journey is becoming more dangerous for those who attempt it, with one out of four perishing at sea before reaching Europe.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *